Passionate Homeschooling!

Passionate Homeschooling

“So I run with PURPOSE in every step” 1 Corinthians 9:26

I am passionate about homeschooling my children because when I look down at their little faces, (Or up at my 19 year old) I see incredible men of God in the making.  I know that one day those feet are going to carry my boys places I will never go and their mouths will speak HIS words of truth into hearts that I will never meet.

I consider it an honor and privilege helping my children become exactly who God created them to be!  I find immense joy when I can help them let go of things that are just taking up their time, but not moving them in the direction of their individual, God-given passions and purpose.

I’m passionate about homeschooling because I have learned first hand how fast the time flies by.  We blink and our short season is over.  I want to make every moment count. ‎

Why are you passionate about homeschooling?

This entry was posted in News Letters. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Passionate Homeschooling!

1. aimee horstman says:

I loved reading this post this morning, but I have to admit, I wasn’t sure at first WHY I was passionate about my homeschooling. I had to take some time to think about it.
    I initially felt led by God to homeschool our children because I had personal experience in the public school system and felt that through my own experience He had something different in His plan for them.
    I always felt naturally able to teach my own at home, I had a “degree” in teaching after all, and had taught so many others.
    Yet God’s purpose was not for my children alone.
    I am passionate about homeschooling because I want to have a deep relationship with my children.

I came to this understanding this morning after a period of prayer over some very difficult homeschooling days.
    My daughter and I have not been connecting and because of that ANYTHING I seem to try and get across to her hits a brick wall and doesn’t sink in..
    I came to this understanding after realizing that I had “chosen” to miss some tender teachable moments with my daughter (that were not over academics) because of my disobedience to my Lord.
    I was uncomfortable in my ability to be the “open/ relatable” mom He was calling me to. I am only comfortable in being a mom who “teaches/and uses boundaries and discipline”. My parents were very authoritarian and controlling. I have nothing to draw from in finding a balance in discipline and relationship with my children.
    It is amazing to me how I can ask Him to teach me and help me, and yet what I really want is for him to just “fix me” without the opportunity to really work it out in a real life scenario. :)
    Today in my prayer time, in my crying out to God about these difficult “teaching” days, HE so very gently reminded me that relationships are why I homeschool. He has allowed the opportunity to homeschool my children to complete in me a part of my character I have so desperately cried out for. I needed to START there. Where there is compassion and relationship the “teaching” will follow.

• admin says:

Oh Aimee, this is such a precious post. I loved when you said that YOU were missing out on God’s best for you. I need to chew on that. What a wonderful Christ centered perspective.

2. Michele says:

Confession time. I’m not passionate about homeschooling and haven’t been for a couple years. I keep doing it because I believe that’s how God wants me to raise my daughter, it’s better than public or private school, I want a good relationship with my daughter, etc. You know, the usual reasons. However, she has hit another snag in her understanding of Algebra. We switched from Saxon a year ago to FLVS and now to Math U See. She said last night that she wants to go to public school because all her friends took Algebra a year or two ago and have moved on. I can’t argue with that; they have. She feels dumb. I told her that very likely her friends don’t remember what they learned, don’t understand it, and just spit it back out for a test. I’m going to watch the DVD lesson she’s having trouble with today. Math is not her good subject and never has been. Mine either. Both of us are word women! She wants to go back to FLVS that I pulled her out of after one semester because she had a grade of 70. I don’t see how that would help. I’m definitely not even considering public or private school. That leaves the options of us trying to figure it out ourselves or getting a tutor. I have a few names in mind. Her strengths, BTW, are empathy, belief, developer, context, and competition. Do any of you see any answers that I don’t see? I’m not looking to change curriculums again except to possibly try Life of Fred that I’ve been told about in addition to Math U See. In her other subjects, she is asking for more accountability (I read that between the lines), so I’ll be going back to a format where I assign work and she does it rather than the self-teaching we’ve morphed into over the last 1-1/2 years. She’s in 10th grade so we have only a few more years of this, but I want us to finish well, not barely squeaking by. If I’m going to take more of a role in her education again, I’m going to have to make some changes in our schedules. Please pray for clarity on how that looks and the courage to implement it.

• admin says:

Beautiful Michele, I so appreciate your transparency. Here is what I heard you say:

You’ve always enjoyed homeschooling, but hitting this big obstacle (algebra) has sucked the joy right out of your experience.

Let me say right off the bat that you are doing what all of us do, have done, will do. You are mistaking the why’s for the how’s. Your passion is not at all linked with your ability or lack of, to teach a subject. Your passion has nothing to do with Bri’s success or struggles.

Your passion is the WHY. Why you homeschool and it doesn’t change based on circumstances.

When I read your post this is what stood out to me:

” I keep doing it because I believe that’s how God wants me to raise my daughter, it’s better than public or private school, I want a good relationship with my daughter”.

There is something about launching our older children that takes homeschooling to a whole new level. There is Joy, but it’s now mingled in with deadlines, faith like never before, the battle to trust that the Lord knows what’s best for our children, that He has a plan for their lives to prosper them, and the understanding that it’s not about us or our abilities.

I have some practical thoughts about Algebra, but I don’t want to confuse how your feeling (frustrated) with why your passionate about why you homeschool. Does that make sense?

Take heart my friend. As I look at your passion, your reason for homeschooling all I can see is tremendous success. You have a strong relationship with your precious daughter and you’ve walked obediently to the Lord no matter what the circumstances.

Love you….., Mary

3. aimee horstman says:

Michele,
    I can relate to so much of the feeling you were writing with. Not the same subject matter necessarily, but the reality of despair in a different grade level. :) That being said, I will pray with you on the answer. I KNOW God will give one and will show you how to change things around if need be. But as I read your post, here is the blessing; you are able to continue helping your daughter to understand that math. You aren’t just moving along, in any other school setting she would be passed by.
    GOD has her best interests in mind, and at this juncture in life, that seems to be working through you.
    I did notice you said her strengths were (in this order) belief, developer and context and competition..Wow, I don’t have the exact curriculum in mind, but in an abstract way I can see how she can use these to succeed in this algebra..to be able to help you DEVELOP a plan, use CONTEXT to understand, BELIEF that she CAN do it, and is SMART and the COMPETITION to beat this and finish well.
    Please pray for me as well as my daughter is only 10, and I am struggling with understanding what her strengths could be, as I feel strongly I have probably moulded her into a mini me, instead of allowing her to be who she has been created to be. I am now trying to untangle that nasty web I wove..and there is so much frustration there.
    I am going before His throne on your behalf this morning.
    Aimee

4. Tracey Wozniak says:

This touched me: “Where there is compassion and relationship, teaching will follow.” and I believe, authentic learning will happen. This week I am taking intentional time away from academic pursuit and just watching my children. Enjoying them. Delighting in them. This renews my passions! It reminds me WHY I am working so hard to invest in their lives.

5. Mary Ottmann-Bass says:

Aimee and Michele… :) Okay Ladies I am actually entering the digital sphere. How timely are these comments! Aimee and Michele you are both so articulate about the struggle. I relate to everything you both said in so many ways. I have had stars in my eyes as a Homeschool newbie and have slowly unravelled in the reality of this challenge. I am passionate about homeschooling and all it offers because it is so creative and full of opportunity and so so so many ….too many choices. And yet on some days I would rather homeschool someone else’s children( because they would probably be more cooperative and sweet and obedient and focused and attentive and full of joy and excitement at the mere sound of my voice. :D ) But I realize that even though I hit snags at least once a month and want to give up I can’t put them back in to the school system because we did that and it wasn’t good for any of us. Aimee I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that Our Lord is growing you and that with Him as our parent and guide He will, with our cooperation, infuse our relationships with Himself and from there the teaching will come. How simple and yet how hard it is. I confuse discipline sometimes with control and firm correction should often be careful compassion. My parents were hard and strict and I too struggle to find a different way. I look around this homeschool community in Pinellas and have begun to find some Moms who even in short conversations give me insight, encouragement and wise counsel. Half the time they don’t even know they are doing that for me but God is mentoring me in so many ways these days. I was praying last night about some frustrations and then these were things each of you have touched on today . I am feeling like some days are not productive . Math right now for our 11 yr. old is the baine of our homeschool existence. I am finding a tutor for her so that she and I can relax with the other subjects. More than anything I want them to know God intimately, trust Him and live out loud for Him just as you all do. This morning I left my pity party room that I do go into periodically and took His hand…again…. and looked up and said ….oh yeah.. you keep telling me you began a good work in me and you will finish it. You have begun a good work in my children and will finish that too. Thank you Father I forgot…again.. so I will get to it today for You , for me and for them. I admire and respect each of you despite our short aquaintance because I do see Jesus in you. This sharing was a helpful time for me.Thanks for posting. I will pray earnestly for each of you and for myself as we stay the course .May you and all of us remember we are the apple of His Eye. Blessings, and prayers for a fruitful week, Mary.

• admin says:

Oh Mary,

I so appreciated your transparency, but even more so your surrendered heart. Freedom, understanding, joy all begins when I surrender my feeble abilities and then I become STRONG in Him! That is exactly what you did.

I couldn’t help but nutshell you Passion for Homeschooling:

“More than anything I want them to know God intimately, trust Him and live out loud for Him”! You should put this in the front of a folder, write it on your eraser board, hang onto it. THIS is WHY you homeschool! This is WHY you are PASSIONATE!

6. Melinda S says:

Michele – I had trouble with both my children in 10th grade. I have decided that that was a time they were really going through tough internal emotional/physical changes and decided that my relationship with them was more important than whether or not we ‘passed’ a certain level. At that age, I felt that part of my job was to help them ‘own’ their responsibility to furthering their own education. After she took the SAT and didn’t get what she wanted, my dd took it upon herself to get into the algebra and studied what she needed to get the full Bright Futures scholarship. My son was the same; I actually dual enrolled him in SPC and he had Mr. Bueller, a wonderful former homeschooler who loved math and taught it well, and now my son wants to be a physicist. I’m not saying that will work for you, but it kept our relationship strong and they still like me and are both getting good grades in college.

Passion for homeschooling. I am one of those who asked and asked for direction on whether or not to start again (I homeschooled my dd 1/2 of kindergarten and then felt pressured to put her in Perkins because she could get the dance and artsy stuff I couldn’t afford). Mid way through 1st grade, I realized that public school wasn’t just cutting it. My heart’s desire was to have my children love the Lord and love learning and it was not happening. I asked Him if other people had these struggles and one of the other student’s mom came to pick her dd up and said “I hear you are thinking about homeschooling. That thought has never come into my mind”. It was one of those ‘Ah Ha’ moments and we have never looked back.

After getting a degree from UF, my daughter is now enrolled in Southeaster Univ in Lakeland for a Worship Leader/Music Business degree and my son is very involved as a youth leader in our church’s Kids City. He just stated the other day to a friend that he ‘really loves to learn’. I am a happy momma and encourage anyone else out there to continue on the course that the Lord has led you onto for, with patience and perseverance, the outcome is sweet. Praying for all of you.

• admin says:

Melinda, you always speak such truth into my heart. How honored and grateful I am to have you here. You have completed your journey and walked strongly as you have surrendered your life to the cross of Christ. Thank you for always being a light to those of us still walking out our journey. (((Love You)))

7. Christa says:

How I have loved reading each and every post here! This is like one big encouragement fest! I am seeing that some of these posts maybe were started in discouragement and by the time they were finished, some renewed strength and hope had come. It is good to share, to open our hearts and see what is there.

I am passionate about homeschooling because I see that it is God’s way of giving me stronger and deeper relationships with my kids. (Oh and then there’s the “little” side aspect of being personally refined daily and learning to lean on Him….but I’ll save that for another post!) :-) I really believe that if I was carting them all off to school each day, and they were each involved in their own things, I would not know them very well at all. Maybe it is my Relator strength, but I need lots of time with someone to build a strong relationship with them. I am also rather task oriented, and an introvert. The need to get them to and from school each day, homework, deadlines, projects, friends, AHHH! I am starting to twitch just thinking about it all.

I am so glad that I am typing this out. I don’t think I had ever purposely stated why I am passionate about homeschooling. This is good, because just because I have this passion, does not mean that I am purposeful about how I walk it out each day. I may have to take a cue from Tracey and spend some time just watching my kids, being with them, enjoying them, laughing with them… on purpose. :-)

Aimee and Mary, I can also relate in regards to the family situations you grew up in. Learning how to mother in a new way, is still a challenge for me. I kept getting frustrated because I could not look to my own childhood as a reference in a lot of areas, but now see that as a gift. There are many good things I can be so thankful for and build on in my own family. But the other stuff, I can learn to leave behind and grow into the mother God is making me to be.

Aimee, I just have to quote you here because I so felt and am joining you in this heart cry.

“And yet because I have asked Him for help in this area in the past, the Lord (my TRUE example of a parent) has provided opportunity upon opportunity recently for me to TRUST Him to work through me and work it out , and I have purposely avoided it out of fear.
    My children are not the only ones learning and growing in our homeschool, their mom is too. And its all because of HIM.”

Amen, sister, Amen!